What does a Petroleum Engineer do?
Devise methods to improve oil and gas extraction and production and determine the need for new or modified tool designs. Oversee drilling and offer technical advice.
- Assess costs and estimate the production capabilities and economic value of oil and gas wells, to evaluate the economic viability of potential drilling sites.
- Monitor production rates, and plan rework processes to improve production.
- Analyze data to recommend placement of wells and supplementary processes to enhance production.
- Specify and supervise well modification and stimulation programs to maximize oil and gas recovery.
- Direct and monitor the completion and evaluation of wells, well testing, or well surveys.
- Assist engineering and other personnel to solve operating problems.
- Develop plans for oil and gas field drilling, and for product recovery and treatment.
- Maintain records of drilling and production operations.
- Confer with scientific, engineering, and technical personnel to resolve design, research, and testing problems.
- Write technical reports for engineering and management personnel.
- Evaluate findings to develop, design, or test equipment or processes.
- Assign work to staff to obtain maximum utilization of personnel.
- Interpret drilling and testing information for personnel.
- Design and implement environmental controls on oil and gas operations.
- Coordinate the installation, maintenance, and operation of mining and oil field equipment.
- Supervise the removal of drilling equipment, the removal of any waste, and the safe return of land to structural stability when wells or pockets are exhausted.
- Inspect oil and gas wells to determine that installations are completed.
- Simulate reservoir performance for different recovery techniques, using computer models.
- Take samples to assess the amount and quality of oil, the depth at which resources lie, and the equipment needed to properly extract them.
- Coordinate activities of workers engaged in research, planning, and development.
- Design or modify mining and oil field machinery and tools, applying engineering principles.
- Test machinery and equipment to ensure that it is safe and conforms to performance specifications.
- Conduct engineering research experiments to improve or modify mining and oil machinery and operations.