What does a Funeral Attendant do?
Perform variety of tasks during funeral, such as placing casket in parlor or chapel prior to service; arranging floral offerings or lights around casket; directing or escorting mourners; closing casket; and issuing and storing funeral equipment.
- Perform a variety of tasks during funerals to assist funeral directors and to ensure that services run smoothly and as planned.
- Greet people at the funeral home.
- Offer assistance to mourners as they enter or exit limousines.
- Close caskets at appropriate point in services.
- Obtain burial permits and register deaths.
- Direct or escort mourners to parlors or chapels in which wakes or funerals are being held.
- Place caskets in parlors or chapels prior to wakes or funerals.
- Clean and drive funeral vehicles, such as cars or hearses, in funeral processions.
- Carry flowers to hearses or limousines for transportation to places of interment.
- Clean funeral parlors or chapels.
- Arrange floral offerings or lights around caskets.
- Provide advice to mourners on how to make charitable donations in honor of the deceased.
- Issue and store funeral equipment.
- Assist with cremations and the processing and packaging of cremated remains.
- Act as pallbearers.
- Transport the deceased to the funeral home.
- Attend to the needs of the bereaved, such as by offering comfort, counseling, or after care programs.
- Perform various administrative tasks, such as typing documents or answering telephone calls.
- Supervise funeral processions and assist with cemetery parking.
- Deliver floral arrangements or other items to family members of the deceased.
- Perform general maintenance tasks for funeral homes, such as maintaining equipment or caring for funeral grounds.
- Embalm, dress, cosmeticize, and casket the deceased.
- Manage funeral home finances, including receiving payments, making bank deposits, or performing general bookkeeping duties.
- Obtain doctors' signatures on death certificate and complete other paperwork, such as insurance claims forms.
- Meet with family members to plan the funeral.
- Prepare obituaries for newspapers.